BEST DAY EVER!!!
We all went to watch incredible Kathrin participate in the Women of Steel (?) Triathelon: swimming 300 meters, biking 12 miles, then running 3 miles.
We went to watch Victoria and Audrey in their gymnastics meet. They both did a great job and earned some ribbons
We headed to the park for Ellie's birthday celebration. She was so cute with her cupcakes and opening her presents. (Audrey did a great job of gushing as Ellie opened each gift.)
I met 5 of my 9 siblings for a great dinner at Carol's house.
Audrey (on the right) is wearing my first tu tu attempt - not poofy enough. Ellie is wearing tu tu # 2, which turned out very poofy :)
Tu tu #1 was made by:
1. cutting 3 -18" lengths of tulle (1 "sparkly" piece of tulle and 2 regular pieces).
2. sandwich the sparkly piece between the regular pieces (because the sparkly piece was scratchy).
3. Fold the 3 pieces of tulle in half making a 9" wide piece. Make a casing by sewing 1/2" all along the folded edge. Thread a piece of elastic the width of Ellie's waist through the casing.
Tu tu #2 was made by:
1. Cutting 3 - 18" lengths of tulle (1 "sparkly" piece of tulle and 2 regular pieces).
2. Sew two rows of gathering stitches (the loosest stitch length) 8 1/2" from each long edge of 1 piece of tulle.
3. Repeat step 2 for remaining 2 pieces.
4. Gather each piece separately by pulling one thread from each row of stitching.
5. Layer the gathered pieces of tulle with the sparkly one in the middle, matching up the stitching lines as well as you can.
6. Sew all three pieces together using the gathering stitches as a guide and forming a casing.
7. Thread a piece of elastic the width of Ellie's waist through the casing.
8. Sew ribbon bows through all three layers to keep the layers straight.
*The clerk at Joanne's suggested cutting lengths of tulle and then tying them with a slip knot around a piece of elastic the width of the waist.